Double Wide Cheech Leech

The Cheech Leech Grows Up





How big is too big?  I was busy last summer testing articulated flies, and in particular, how big of a fly was too big for my local trout.  Well, long story short, I couldn't come up with anything that was too big and offensive.  I had a lot of different flies that I had been throwing at them, but the fly that was the most productive was a larger version of the Cheech Leech that I started calling the Double Wide Cheech Leech.

The funny thing is that many of the fish that we were catching on this bug were no bigger than the fish that were eating the normal Cheech Leech.  I think their strikes were a predatory response to something encroaching on their territory.

This fly really swims well and moves like crazy due to the huge amount of marabou that is used.  This bug is definitely more comfortable to throw with a 6 or 7 weight rod...

~ Cheech


And the video: