Royal Wulff

A favorite for generations






This fly really needs no introduction.  If you have fished with attractor flies, there is a good chance that you have caught fish with the Royal Wulff.  I was first introduced to it by my father in law when I first started fishing, and I caught my first fly rod fish on it.  As  my wife's grandpa used to say, "If a Royal Wulff isn't working, you might as well go home."  Fishing the Royal Wulff is pure bliss, while tying them can be pure agony.  My first attempts were about as ratty as they get, but they still caught plenty of fish.  As I progressed, I started making the wings out of turkey flats to make it a bit easier (yes.  they still caught plenty of fish).  The wings are the part of this fly that really make it or break it.  There are plenty of Royal Wulff videos on the internet, but I wanted to show some of the tips and tricks that I have learned over the years.

~ Cheech